[Qgis-community-team] Pulling 'how to translate' to one place

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Mon Nov 17 00:42:48 PST 2014

Hi,

Now documentation 2.6 is near, and hopefully will have a lot of
translated versions, I thought to have a look at the different places
where we have 'documentation/rules' about how to translate:

http://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/index.html#translate

is now pointing to the pretty up to date:

http://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/translate.html

Here there is also a pretty extensive text about how to translate:

http://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/documentation_guidelines/do_translations.html

And some other translation text:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation#translating-the-english-qgis-documentation

I propose the following:
- only use the link to
http://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/translate.html
as the canonical place where you find up to date information about
translating both docs, site and application.
- all other links above will link tot that site

(first I thought to use the link in the actual documentation website,
but because that one is 'versioned' we would have to update both the
'testing' as the last '2.x' version in case we change the translation
tool chain during a release cycle, or when we 'skip' an documentation
release like we did now)

I everybody agrees, I will try to do this this week, so we have a
uptodate version of this in the 2.6 documentation.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde