[Qgis-community-team] "Bug report" about documentation

Junior Delaz delazj at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 07:36:03 PST 2014

I'm reading QGis Testing doc to see if I can help improve it and I have
some suggestions but I can't find where to push them. I remember I recently
read such a question but don't know if somebody answered (and I can't find
the question either). Is hub.qgis.org the appropriate repository or should
I use QGIS Doc github (if one of them is used for such reports)? And if
some of my remarks are bug report, others aren't really bug report nor
feature request so I don't know where to put them...

Waiting for somebody showing me the path, let me suggest what can be done
to the doc:

1/ Field Calculator Bar
If in QGIS 2.4 the field calc bar  was a little buggy, I think it's now
stable and deserves to be mentioned in the doc, especially when presenting
the attribute table edition. [0]

2/ Query Builder [1]
This chapter is about the query builder accessible within Layer's
Properties > General. I think it should precise to the user that the
features not corresponding to the result won't be displayed in the
mapcanvas and attribute table while the request is not cleared.
Maybe, it can be added that it won't be possible to edit such layer unless
it is a DB table.

3/ Save selected features as new layer
"Save selected as" function no more exists. It is replaced by "Save As..."
So in [0], the paragraph might be rewriten, according to this information.
In [1], there is also a section about "saving selected features". I wonder
if it's a right place as the query builder above doesn't really perform a
selection. So once you validate Layer's Properties dialog, there is not
really selected features you'll have to save as...

4/ Field Calculator [2]
The screenshot is not up to date (missing virtual field either in the
screenshot and in the text)
It is said "*You will need to bring the vector layer into editing mode,
before you can click on the field calculator icon to open the dialog*". No
more! the field calculator dialog is accessible everytime.

5/ Functions List [3]
In Transifex, we do translate function help in field calculator (QGis
Desktop). Would it be possible to use translated text so the functions
listed here [3] can also be translated in other languages?

6/ some buggy strings
In [4], section Snapping Tolerance > point 1, it is writen "QIS" instead of
"QGIS"
In [5], 2nd paragraph, toolbars are available through "View" menu, not
"Settings" one

I've found some "bugs" while writing this mail so sorry if all seems
smuggled. There are some on which I can help but as I'm not really english
speaker, I prefer reporting them and will see how I can help to fix them.

[0]
http://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_vector/editing_geometry_attributes.html#working-with-the-attribute-table
[1]
http://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_vector/query_builder.html