[Qgis-community-team] Please finalise work on documentation

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Sat Nov 29 08:11:20 PST 2014

On 29-11-14 13:58, Alexander Bruy wrote:
> not sure if this really necessary, but what about some
> tweaks in Makefile that allow us exclude Processing
> help from build when needed

Yep, I tried here, that is easy:

For example to only build the 'documentation_guidelines' part of the
docs, adding something like:

exclude_patterns += ['docs/training_manual/*', 'docs/user_manual/*',
'docs/gentle_gis_introduction/*', 'docs/pyqgis_developer_cookbook/*']

after exclude_patterns value in source/conf.py,
makes sphinx just ignore the other docs

So a

exclude_patterns += ['docs/user_manual/processing_algs/*',
'docs/training_manual/*', 'docs/documentation_guidelines/*',
'docs/gentle_gis_introduction/*', 'docs/pyqgis_developer_cookbook/*']

will build you ONLY a user_manual, but WITHOUT processing_algs

What do you think is best, we could create some Makefile targets, or
maybe a Makefile variable which you can bring in.

But actually describe/document that it is that easy to edit the
source/conf.py will make it easy for documentation builders to do this
partial builds.
And by doing it in the conf.py, we do not have to duplicate that switch
in both Makefile and Paver configs....

So what about adding the following to the conf.py, all commented, so
user which wants to build can easily exclude stuff:

# uncomment to exclude the processing algs from build
#exclude_patterns += ['docs/user_manual/processing_algs/*']
# uncomment to exclude the user manual from build
#exclude_patterns += ['docs/user_manual/*']
# uncomment to exclude training manual from build
#exclude_patterns += ['docs/training_manual/*']
# uncomment to exclude doc guides from build
#exclude_patterns += ['docs/documentation_guidelines/*']
# uncomment to exclude gentle intro  from build
#exclude_patterns += ['docs/gentle_gis_introduction/*']
# uncomment to exclude pyqgis dev book from build
#exclude_patterns += ['docs/pyqgis_developer_cookbook/*']

Ok, would that be clear/easy enough for the average builder?
Or would we prefer to add switches?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde