[Qgis-community-team] Proposal to divide some pages in QGIS documentation

Yves Jacolin yjacolin at free.fr
Sun Jun 7 07:16:54 PDT 2015

Le samedi 6 juin 2015, 01:22:26 DelazJ a écrit :
> Hi Folks,
>
> While reading QGIS documentation, there are some pages that leave me
> puzzled. You may have a look at Print Composer [1], vector properties
> dialog [2] pages.
> IMHO, these pages are too long. For the reader, scrolling can become
> tedious while looking for a precise information. Sure, the subject is wide
> and there is a lot of informations at these pages but I think that, because
> subject is wide, it can be splited into several pages, shorter, more
> precise and readable. As there are Previous/Next buttons, skipping sections
> while reading can easily be done.
> From writer side, I think that having short (and specialized) page helps us
> to quickly identify where there may be a lack of documentation, easily
> update or improve them...
>
> So, few days ago, I made a pull request [3] that splits Print Composer
> chapter into many pages, reorganizing sections and sequences.
>
> If you agree with the spliting principle of these chapters, can some
> documentation writers review it, amend it and let me know if it is ok? It's
> the first time I use rst files so it'd be nice if someone can review my PR
> before I begin spliting vector properties chapter.
>
> Regards,
> Harrissou
>
> [1]
> http://docs.qgis.org/2.8/fr/docs/user_manual/print_composer/print_composer.h
> tml [2]
> http://docs.qgis.org/2.8/fr/docs/user_manual/working_with_vector/vector_prop
> erties.html [3] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/544/
DelazJ,

My opinions is that your split is perfect. As you said all in one page should
be too much and the split is great.

One more feedback (with my comments in you Pr): the index page contains only a
toc, do you think we can add a small paragraph to introduce the composer
chapter? As the one in "First Steps" section for instance?

Otherwise just merge.

Y.
--
Yves Jacolin