[Qgis-community-team] Removing third party providers algorithms from QGIS Docs

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 14:08:19 PDT 2018

Hi,

I wonder if this had not been discussed in the past but I would like to
raise it again as I faced the issue this week-end: other than QGIS
algorithm help files, our documentation [0] contains descriptions for some
third-party providers for which I think we should revisit whether it's
worth to have them:
- *GDAL*: when you press Help button of a gdal raster algorithm (except
gdal2xyz's 404), it brings you to gdal official doc. when you press a
vector alg help button, you get the less sexy ogr2ogr page. Do we need to
keep our own docs if we do not advertize them? Note that I found some
missing parameters in our docs.

I do not enable third-party agorithms to check where the help buttons
brings you but:
-* SAGA*: it has its own documentation website and in ours, parameters are
not described
- *OTB*: same thing, it has its own website and our website is rather empty
- *R*: ditto
- *Lastools*: better described than the others but still, a lot of
undescribed parameters
- *TauDEM*: fully documented afaics in our pages.

*GRASS*: we do not document it and from memory, in 2.x we already relied on
GRASS official docs.

So given the state of those docs, do we really need to keep them?

[0]
https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/processing_algs/index.html

Regards,
Harrissou