[Qgis-community-team] Error in Google maps plugin

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Nov 28 09:48:07 PST 2018

On 11/28/18 6:19 PM, SIMHACHALAM ALAJANGI wrote:
> Hi all,
>     I am getting the message in QGIS i.e. For development purpose only
> when i have add the open layers plugin of Google satellite layer.
> The screenshot of the same has been attached herewith.
> Please show the solution as early as possible.

You're welcome :-)

This is Google enforcing the use of api-keys for their 'free' services.

https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/get-api-key

You have to create a key for yourself, and then add it in the OpenLayers
plugin via menu:
Web / OpenLayers Plugin / Google Maps / Set Api Key

Some other options:
- use the QuickMapServices plugins (and enable 'Get contributed pack')
- and (a little harder) try to convince your government organisations to
make aerials public via wms or wmts services (at least here in Europe
more and more countries start to provide such services...)

Hope this helps..

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde