[Qgis-community-team] Image size in Visual Changelog

João Gaspar joao.f.r.gaspar at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 05:17:09 PST 2018

Hi Richard,

Animated GIF are great but is necessary avoid big files. In some
situations, i have experiences that the same file in .mp4 is small than
animated gif.

For Windows i use this open source https://www.screentogif.com/
unfortunately the developer don't have others OS alternatives. The
advantage of this software is increase and decrease speed between frames
and remove duplicate frames (you can set the % of similar frames)  that
make heavy the animated gif.

For Linux Distributions you have peek  and i found a way to compress the
future gif files:
https://github.com/phw/peek#why-are-the-gif-files-so-big

For compression both softwares (screen2gif and peek) can use FFmpeg or
gifski to compress the gif files. The only thing that is needed is a
compression that have a commitment between quality/storage.

For others images i think the images can respect the guidelines of
documentation (
https://docs.qgis.org/2.18/en/docs/documentation_guidelines/writing.html#managing-screenshots)
is enough to solve the problem.

The only thing that i don't see is a way to convert the actual animated gif
to a optimized animated gif's.

I hope this can help.

Regards,
João aka James