[Qgis-community-team] QGIS Documentation: increase the speed of documentation writing

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 01:25:45 PDT 2018

Hi,

Yves, in that case you assume the PR is good enough and ready to merge,
which is not the context Anita and Alexandre are referring to.

Personally, I prefer to add comments and let the contributor fix the issues
rather than pushing changes to his branch. This can indeed look intrusive,
reason why I applied it to few people. BUT there are cases where pushing
changes is more a help than a bother:
- for people facing a conflict that cannot be resolved through the web
interface (like Anita) or do not know git, it helps to move forward. I
prefer keeping all in the single PR rather than opening a new PR with a
loss of comments/suggestion history and a waste of time for everybody.
- when the PR seems abandoned: no reply/modification applied for weeks from
the contributor. Reason why, Yves, I pushed changes to your PR two days
ago. Sorry if ever that bothered you but I thought it would help to speed
the merge (and did not know your position on this process).
Another (less intrusive?) option for the latter case can be to PR against
the branch of the contributor and hope he merges it.

About some topics discussed in this thread, I'm less enthusiastic with what
I seem to understand.
I personally really prefer to merge a clean PR  without issues (and sorry
if ever I bothered some with all my (nit-?)picking), than letting issues
I'm aware of being merged and hope that someone else (who?) will later
treat them (when?). And if those issues are not fixed before release, what
about translators workload? Do we ask them to translate the doc as is and
if ever the issue is fixed, to translate those strings again? Or do we
consider that once a doc is released, we do not touch it again (in which
case what about the issues we let pass in the PR)?
As said, maybe I misunderstand the topic.

Regards,
Harrissou