[Qgis-community-team] [Aus-NZ-QGIS-group] Should we tackle QGIS docs in 2020?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 12:07:40 PST 2019

Combining a couple of emails, and looping in
qgis-community-team at lists.osgeo.org

Grant's email shared with his permission ...

On 21/12/19 10:51 am, Grant Boxer wrote:

> Hi Cameron,
>
> happy to get involved. I have some time, as I work part-time, but do
> not have spare funds for monetary support of QGIS, so assisting in
> documentation is a way I can contribute back to QGIS.
>
> As per the discussions on link [1], are official written detailed docs
> the way to go? Most people Google for their information, so perhaps
> there is a "web-way" to do it? We need comprehensive documentation but
> perhaps there is another way. The current "Help" buttons link back to
> the QGIS documentation but maybe they should point to a variation of
> QGIS documentation, maybe the chapter or paragraph describing a
> feature but with added usage examples, or to external links (this
> might be nightmare to administer)?
>
> Also having "how-to-do" documentation is useful but there are so many
> variations on a theme that trying to catch all this would be very
> difficult. Googling is usually the best way to go here. Trying to
> capture all this world-wide knowledge is a challenge. Maybe we just
> need to encourage a variety of users to post on-line and allow Google
> to find them (Stack Exchange, YouTube, etc)?
>
> Anyway, as mentioned in [1], we probably need to help people get
> started with documentation by finding the "low hanging fruit" to get
> started. I have not tried the process but it needs to be easy to use
> as otherwise it will put people of very quickly. It needs to be
> something that if someone has a spare 30 mins, they can quickly do an
> update.
>
> Cheers Grant

Grant and I had a follow up call. A few highlights:

* Grant has an email list of a few hundred people who he has provided
training to. He reckons some of them might be up to helping as well.
That sounds great. It is amazing how much a core team of 3 or 4 core
volunteers can achieve within an open source community, if they have a
clear vision, strong motivation, and someone keeping the team focused.
I've seen it happen.

* In answer to Grant's question about whether we should just let people
"google the docs". Yes, there is a place for googling docs, but there is
also a place where writing targeted and complete documentation for
specific doc types is hugely valuable. A really good argument for this
(often quoted in tech writing circles), is Daniele Procida's essay on
tech writing:

/There is a secret that needs to be understood in order to write good
software documentation: there isn’t one thing called documentation,
there are four. They are: tutorials, how-to guides, explanation and
technical reference. They represent four different purposes or
functions, and require four different approaches to their creation.
Understanding the implications of this will help improve most software
documentation - often immensely./

Rest of the essay (and video) here:
https://www.divio.com/blog/documentation/
//

So Grant, how could you be most impactful within the QGIS community? You
are a geologist, QGIS user and trainer. You are also a native English
speaker. These skills would be really valuable for the current QGIS doc
team - many of whom are programmers, European, and have English as a
second language.

I'd suggest focus on one of the doc types, and make it excellent.
Tutorials would be a logical fit. Alternatively you could tackle Howos
or Quickstarts. While I know you would do an excellent job creating a
geologist specific tutorials, (and probably have material immediately at
hand), I suggest start at the core.

Help ensure the "QGIS 101" tutorial is excellent. This would involved:
* Aligning the tutorial format with emerging best practices in
TheGoodDocsProject https://thegooddocsproject.dev/
* Reviewing existing material and ensuring it is up to date with latest
software (probably the long-term-release version).
* Attracting and coordinating reviews from the greater QGIS user community.
* Supporting the QGIS user documentation to update docs with git and
wiki formats. (You can lean on developers and TheGoodDocsProject to help
with that.

Re schedule:
* I suggest start by assessing the size of the problem.
* The reach out to communities with a proposed approach.
* Ask questions and hopefully attract collaborators along the way.

Note:
* I think we will likely be able to attract a tech-writer from Google
Season of Docs in 2020, which I assume will run again in 2020.
* I expect the QGIS docs team will help with technical and structural
questions you have.
* I'm involved in TheGoodDocsProject and plan to help with templates
through that community.
* I suspect we'll be able to attract collaborators from within the OSGeo
Oceania community, as mentioned earlier, along with your friends you've
trained in QGIS that you mentioned.

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier