[Qgis-community-team] Missing the best download page in FOSS4G history

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Nov 2 06:09:33 PDT 2022

(I mean to send this feedback to those who manage the QGIS website, and
not to start a disagreement on who prefers what.  I simply want to share
my feelings direct with the website team)

I truly feel that the uniqueness and feeling that we all got, when
clicking 'download' on qgis.org and then seeing the smiling faces of
those attending the first QGIS Users Conference, in Nødebo, as I awaited
the download to complete, was very special.

I download hundreds, thousands, millions of software, since I started
this FOSS4G game, back in 2000, but I can honestly say that the QGIS
website popping up the first users conference group photo after you
download the software, was one of a kind.

I noticed in the past few months some tickets on "simplify download
page" in the 'QGIS-Website' repository, but I don't see where this
change was made exactly.

Was that made on purpose?  Did I miss this discussion here possibly?
Was the person making that change aware how special that feature is, in
the global FOSS4G community?

Well sometimes feedback is needed, so please send along my feedback,
that that little download magic, was very special, and I wish it to be
reinstated.

That's my wish :)

Likely this message is discarded, but I purposely sent this message to a
low traffic list, to not cause troubles for the maintainers.  So,
discarding is fine too.

However, that small users conference image appearing as I download QGIS,
gave me a nice warm feeling about being a part of the FOSS4G community.

Ok, thanks for listening,

-jeff
FOSS4G co-founder