[Qgis-community-team] Fw: Att Werner Macho - suggested AU/EU language translation.

Dylan Chenoweth dylanchenoweth at outlook.com
Wed Apr 10 14:36:57 PDT 2024

Thanks for the interest in this team,

Yes I think lodging as a GitHub issue is a great first step to garner interest. And I agree it is tricky applying the en-dash because it's not readily available on most keyboards. Usually if you type a number range in Microsoft Word it will revert the hyphen to an en-dash automatically.

I am concious that like with any change, some users won't appreciate a forced-default change. So I think the ideal solution is have an optional "Range separator" field in the style properties window for the layer, so the user can quickly change it if they need (maybe having a drop-down menu with suggested defaults).

Reason I say this is I know some of our non-technical clients might appreciate ranges listed as "-X to X" rather than "-X - X" or "-X – X" etc.

So maybe as a start the three core-default options could be:
hyphen (-)
en-dash (–)
text (to) this text would hopefully auto-change to the user's language equivelant based on their QGIS profile settings i.e. "zu" (German?)

I am aware we can modify all of these by customising the legend, but it is more time-consuming. And if we apply old pre-saved styles, they are hard to update the values while maintaining the symbol i.e. if the legend label was pre-saved with an en-dash (–), it automatically defaults back to a hyphen as soon as we change the class value ranges.

Again, thanks for your interest, I'll post on GitHub and link the team up with with the issue once lodged, cheers/prost.

Kind regards,

Dylan Chenoweth

Surface Water Science and Engineering

BSc Env (Hons.) | Flinders University