[Qgis-developer] Re: Fonts in composer

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Fri May 19 04:29:42 EDT 2006

On 5/19/06, Tom Elwertowski <telwertowski at comcast.net> wrote:
> Radim Blazek wrote:
> > Because Qt4 QPainter supports floating point numbers I could
> > remove QgsComposition::mScale (set to 1 for now).
> > Consequently the font scaling factor QgsComposition::psFontScaleFactor
> > became wrong. I tried to fix the problem with scaling again
> >
> > I tested on Linux with many fonts and different sizes and the font height
> > seems to be almost always correct and text length is mostly correct.
> >
> > Tom, could you test on Mac?
>
> On a Mac, printing isn't working at all. The map is drawn in the
> composer window but no printable Postscript is generated. On the
> console, I get about a hundred "CGAffineTransformInvert: singular
> matrix" messages.

I had also some problems with print dialog, on Linux it is necessary
to select printer and then print to file again.

> I haven't tried printing since 0.7.4 so this might have something to do
> with the Qt3 to 4 switch. I'll look at the code in the next few days and
> try to find out what is going on.
>
> The text in the composer window is slightly smaller than the main window
> but this is true for Linux as well. The Linux .eps text is very small
> however -- perhaps 20% of the main window size.

Feature labels? Feature labels are not fixed yet because
ascent() is not constant, I'll probably add a flag to drawLabels()
to indicate printing to PS.

I have also found that font size is always written as integer, that can
be reason why the size in PS sometimes is not exactly the same
as in preview. I try to use in preview only sizes which are equivalents
of integers in PS.

> I used a polygon file and the outlines in composer were a series of dots
> -- perhaps only one in three of the outline pixels are being drawn. The
> .eps outlines are continuous however. In 0.7.4, the composer window
> outlines were continuous as well.

That is OK, preview cannot be perfect. The difference between 0.7 and 0.8
is because Qt3 did not supported widthF. Il try to fix the preview
if possible to render better in Qt4.

> Also, the Legend and Label tools segfault on both Mac and Linux.

Bad. When? Unfortunately I cannot reproduce it.

Radim