[Qgis-developer] GRASS Edit very slow when on the projection enabled

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Mon Dec 3 13:22:44 EST 2007

Hi

Unless OTFP to a metric CS is enabled, area and distance
measurements are forced in degress. Also the map scale
displayed in the bottom-right corner of QGIS window changes
while panning then (which I guess is normal as it impossible
to have a constant scale in degree-based CS).

The above are good reasons to have OTFP enabled most of the
time, even if you actually don't want to reproject your
vectors on the fly (ie. you have to set project CS to match
your data CS and set OTFP on). However, a major negative
side-effect is that GRASS Edit gets extremely slow with OTFP
enabled, even when the CS of your vector data and the
project are identical.

Is it currently possible in QGIS to have working area,
distance and scale measurements in metric units, along with
GRASS Edit working fast enough? If not, I'd say it's a
defect. Should I report it to tracker?

QGIS SVN head 7709.

Maciek