[Qgis-developer] QGIS crash on Mac OS X -- 0.8 release branch

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun May 13 14:09:39 EDT 2007

On May 13, 2007, at 2:07 AM, Gary Sherman wrote:

> Qt is installed from the TrollTech framework (dmg).

The linking of the Qt frameworks in Qgis was odd, there are no paths
to the frameworks:

Qt3Support.framework/Versions/4/Qt3Support

It should either be an absolute path, or one of the special relative
paths (@executable_path or a tiger-only one, I can't remember what).

I just installed Qt 4.2.3.  I guess the OSX linker tries to find
frameworks automatically from the standard locations - Qgis starts
now.  I symlinked my GRASS.app to the Resources/grass-6.2.1/ location
used in the plugin/provider, but when I checked to see if the GRASS
plugin loaded, it hadn't, along with the gpx and wfs providers.

And whadayaknow, open a shapefile and boom.  Not much help in the
crash log, except to say that it crashed in
"QgsOgrProvider::loadFields() + 24" with an "EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION
(0x0002)". (that might help you more than it helps me figure out
what's wrong)  The Binary Images section shows that the grass plugin/
provider IS loaded, but I guess not in a state usable by Qgis.

Removed the grass plugin/rovider and a shapefile opens.  So, it only
takes the presence of those to cause it to crash, or maybe that's the
problem - the GRASS plugin isn't loading when it should, and the
symptom (crash) is showing up later.

> I installed your (William's) GRASS 6.3-cvs package and now
> everything seems to work.
> It did not work with the GRASS 6.2 package.

huh.  I wonder if just the version numbering is the key.  Just a
thought, but if GDAL loads its grass 6.2 libs, then Qgis tries to
load another set of 6.2 libs, the OSX linker may be trying to be
smart and using one that's already loaded, but they're just different
enough from what Qgis expects to cause problems.  But with Qgis+GRass
6.3, the linker sees 6.3 as different enough to load those libraries
also.

I don't know much about details like this, but it sounds reasonable
to me.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"This is a question about the past, is it? ... How can I tell that
the past isn't a fiction designed to account for the discrepancy
between my immediate physical sensations and my state of mind?"

- The Ruler of the Universe