[Qgis-developer] QGIS crash on Mac OS X -- 0.8 release branch

Tom Elwertowski telwertowski at comcast.net
Sun May 13 23:20:07 EDT 2007

William Kyngesburye wrote:
> On May 13, 2007, at 2:07 AM, Gary Sherman wrote:
>> I installed your (William's) GRASS 6.3-cvs package and now everything
>> seems to work.
>> It did not work with the GRASS 6.2 package.
>>
> huh.  I wonder if just the version numbering is the key.  Just a
> thought, but if GDAL loads its grass 6.2 libs, then Qgis tries to load
> another set of 6.2 libs, the OSX linker may be trying to be smart and
> using one that's already loaded, but they're just different enough from
> what Qgis expects to cause problems.  But with Qgis+GRass 6.3, the
> linker sees 6.3 as different enough to load those libraries also.

I found the problem. The path references in GRASS 6.2 libs have an extra
(non-existent) directory:

/Applications/GRASS.app/Contents/Resources/grass-6.2.1/lib/libgrass_gis.dylib

The libs in 6.3 don't:

/Applications/GRASS.app/Contents/Resources/lib/libgrass_gis.dylib

If I create the following link for GRASS 6.2:

ln -s . /Applications/GRASS.app/Contents/Resources/grass-6.2.1

QGIS can load shp files without crashing and without starting GRASS.

QGIS is probably working ok inside GRASS 6.2 because GRASS has already
loaded the libraries and QGIS doesn't need to use the path info to find
them.

Tom