[Qgis-developer] QGIS and GRASS 0.8.1 rc1: DBF driver deadlocking

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Mon May 21 05:33:09 EDT 2007

On 5/21/07, Benjamin Ducke <benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
> Thanks for the new 0.8.1 rc win builds. The software keeps getting
> better all the time! I have run a few tests on the GRASS interface with
> my data as I am VERY keen on using this in my GIS classes at university
> in the future.
> There are two serious flaws that prevent me from doing so at the moment:
>
> 1. The DBF driver deadlocks randomly!
> Any GRASS module that needs to access the attribute table (DBF format)
> of a vector map is prone to this: E.g. I tried running v.out.ogr on a
> map with ca. 3000 points repeatedly. Out of ten runs, 2 or 3 deadlock at
> a random point. The task manager shows that v.out.ogr is sleeping with
> 0% CPU.
> Sometimes, I also get random "DBMI protocol errors". The only thing that
> helps is to stop and restart the module, hoping that it will finish this
> time. Quite annoying. I tested this with several different versions of
> QGIS, Windows (XP, 2000) and with different datasets on different PCs:
> always the same problem.

Hi Benjamin,

I think this is a known problem, see section "What is missing" here:
http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/WinGRASS_Current_Status

> 2. There are still issues when QGIS is installed in a path with spaces.
> This is a problem with the GRASS modules. I found that at least
> g.mremove and d.mon screwed up. There are probably others ...

Actually neither of these problems is directly related to Quantum GIS
as we only ship compiled GRASS with QGIS. These issues should be
solved by GRASS developers, so their mailing list is probably a better
place for reporting that...

Regards,
Martin