[Qgis-developer] printing issues

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Mon Sep 24 04:02:33 EDT 2007

Hi Steven

Steven Bell wrote:
> I apologize for being so slow to answer.

No problem. I hope you don't find my "pings" irritating.

> The polygon border problem should be fixed.  Like the lines, it only matches
> when both the map and legend are in render mode.
> I think there are time when it's good to be able to set render mode
> independently, but it would be helpful to have a "set all items to
> render/set all items to cache" option.
>
> The label positioning is slightly more difficult, and I haven't had time to
> work on it.  Thanks for the dataset though.
> As far as I can tell, the font nastiness occurs with Qt on Ubuntu.  I've
> created a simple test program which reproduces the problem, so it's not a
> QGIS bug:
>
>> If some other Linux users could run my font test program below, that
>> would be helpful.  Let me know your Linux distro, Qt version, and
>> whether the text came out garbled.
>> A Linux binary is here: http://botsnlinux.googlepages.com/QT_Fonts , and
>> source code is here: http://botsnlinux.googlepages.com/QT_Fonts.zip
>> <http://botsnlinux.googlepages.com/QT_Fonts.zip>

I tried the program and the top text "hello!" is always rendered
not-grabled. The text below, "Simple Hello!" is garbled, until I press
"Zoom In" 4 times. Then it starts looking allright. I'm using QT 4.3.1.
It was the same with 4.3.0. Both built from source. Still on Ubuntu Dapper.

Other map composer issues we have not rised yet:

1. Polygon pattern fills are always rendered wrong in the map composer
in "render" mode. Pattern elements are too thick and spacing between
them is exagerated compared to the display in main QGIS window.
However, polygon patterns look OK in the map composer in "cache" mode.
Yet, in the PDF output polygon patterns are always garbled, like in the
"render" mode. Interestingly, the patern fills in the *legend* box in
map composer are always corrupted, no matter what rendering mode.
Currently, one can't use pattern fills for print/PDF output. QT or QGIS
fault?

2. The distance between layer name and legend classes in the legend box
in the map composer is to small. It is annoying when using national
characters or undescore in map titles (see the attached screendump).

Maciek