[Qgis-developer] Re: composer redesign branch

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Wed Feb 13 05:59:43 EST 2008

Hi

2008/2/13, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>:
> Tim Sutton ha scritto:
>
> > There is already a feature spec on the wiki.
> >
> > http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/Features_For_QGIS_Version_1.0
> >
> > The spec should probably be revised at our next dev meeting as some
> > things are probably no longer on the table.
>
> I think this is very much true. One thing that I believe it is very
> important is proper labelling, with collision detection, angle_follow,
> etc. Speed is becoming important, as noted, as well as stability (avoid
> crashing). Also thematic mapping has scope for improvement.
> I guess it's all on the wishes (on the trac), but it should be properly
> prioritized.

Yes I think basically printing and labelling are the two things
holding up 1.0 going out (beyond stabilisation and performance
improvements).

> To me, geoprocessing is far less important, as this can be easily done
> with grass.

For 1.0 I agree. In the long term however I think its important to
implement geoprocessing tools in QGIS. My typical use case for QGIS is
using the libraries to embed GIS support into 3rd party applications -
and increasingly others will be doing the same now that we have
Martins python bindings in play. GRASS is problematic in this case in
that it is a) incredibly difficult to package an application that
makes use of some GIS functionality and then have to resolve all the
packaging issues of bundling GRASS with it too, and b) the model of
importing and exporting data to and from GRASS in order to perform
analysis is onerous. There are many other reasons why I think its good
for us to embark on implementing our own geoprocessing functionality
(on top of GEOS etc where appropriate).

Regards

Tim