[Qgis-developer] custom attribute inserting/editing

Bud P. Bruegger bud at comune.grosseto.it
Wed Feb 13 09:24:18 EST 2008

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the list, so please forgive my possible ignorance.

I am looking into the possibility of custom attribute editing, i.e.,
to customize how the attributes for a certain feature type are
presented.  Customizations could include combo boxes/option selectors
with a predifined set of possible values (possibly taken from a postgres
table; using a code but presenting a full label; etc.), some constraint
checks on an attribute fields, etc.

It seems to me that adding all that functionality to qGIS would require
to basically re-implement a dmbs client that allows the definition of
custom forms. So instead of taking on something so ambitious, I was
wondering whether it would be possible to delegate attribute input and
editing to an existing external program (incl. Open Office Base) in a
customizable way.

So my questions are:
* is this feasible?
* is this something a python programmer without GUI experience can do
(i.e., I)?
* if so, where would I start?

many thanks and kind regards

-bud

--
Bud P. Bruegger, Ph.D.          +39-0564-488577 (voice),  -21139 (fax)
   European Chair, Global Collaboration Forum on eID
Servizio Elaborazione Dati       e-mail:  bud at comune.grosseto.it
Comune di Grosseto               jabber:  bud at jabber.no
Via Ginori, 43                   http://www.comune.grosseto.it/
58100 Grosseto (Tuscany, Italy)