[Qgis-developer] the new plugin installer

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 11:32:37 EDT 2008

Hi Borys,

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 2:02 AM, Borys Jurgiel <borys at wolf.most.org.pl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The new Installer is working at pre-alpha stage: GUI is dirty, but basic
> duties should work properly. I ask for tests, but first we need some cleaning
> in the repositories!

Thanks for the effort! I've tried finally the plugin installer as
you've modified it and looks fine with my few tests.

> We have there 43 plugins and in only 17 cases the name in the repository and
> the one inside plugin are the same. Until now it wasn't so important, but now
> we will have to pay more attention to the name and version number, because
> Installer identifies plugins by the name.

This shouldn't be necessary. We can identify plugins by the plugin's
directory - it's simple, easy and don't need any changes.

Looking at your code I see you use python's reload() method to reload
the plugin. This doesn't work as expected. The only way how to
completely reload some module in python is to delete it first and then
import again:
del sys.modules['plugin_dir']
import plugin_dir

I have some more GUI-related comments:
- versions in the table should IMHO go before the description column,
so one can see them without scrolling to the right
- that label and text field "name of plugin to install" are not
neccessary, better remove them
- we should allow sorting in plugin list

Good job, hope to see some further work - especially uninstallation of
plugins would be very useful.

Regards
Martin