[Qgis-developer] The Installer / Re: Ready for feature freeze?

Borys Jurgiel borys at wolf.most.org.pl
Mon Sep 1 06:39:48 EDT 2008

> > New plugin installer is the 1st that comes to my mind. When is it
> > going to be put into SVN?
>
> Borys any thoughts on that? Is it ready for 'prime time' now?

Hi! Sorry I was so quiet last weeks, but I hope I'm just coming back to life
these days. The Installer is ready for a long time! And I hope it's tested
enough.

However I see two related issues, which have to be solved before 1.0 release
(but not necessarily before putting to trunk). I didn't work on it yet, but
now I'm ready to get down to that,

1. Due to the new menu layout, it's necessary to finally place the installer
item (now it's hardcoded, so may come to wrong menu in some OSes). I see two
solutions:
a) keep it in the Plugins menu, next to the Plugin Manager and prior to the
separator, by creating a method for QgisApp (similar to the
QgisApp.addPluginMenu)
b) take it completely from the menu and launch by a button in the Plugin
Manager.
I hesitate which one will be more usable. I think the latter, but The Manager
window may become a a bit crowded. What do you think? I can code it
tonight-tomorrow.

2. Due to the API changes, I suggest to create new repositories ("Official" as
well as the author's ones), containing plugins rewritten to the new API.

It's also good time for dividing the official repo into two: moderated and
testing one, as we found some time ago. At least we should delegate someone
to take care on plugn metadata, because correcting the repository entries is
much more reasonable than upgrading the Installer's workarounds after every
release of plugin with broken metadata.