[Qgis-developer] Some feedback on the hackfest (Vienna 2009)

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Nov 10 06:07:04 EST 2009

Hi all,

Thank you very much, Tim, for the extensive summary of the hackfest.

I'd like to also emphasize the work that Jürgen Fischer did on the forms.
For public administrations (government institutions), forms are very
important. Currently one had only flat tables, alphabetically ordered, and
no way to influence the display of the results of the info tool. One had
several GUI-elements available (input fields, sliders, comboboxes, etc.)
but no complete control on the look and layout of the form. In order to
display custom forms, one had to develop a python plugin in the past.

qtDesigner allows to design forms in a graphical way. In order to properly
work with QGIS, the widget names need to correspond with the data columns
in QGIS. One can save the form design in a .ui File (an XML-based
description of the form). In QGIS one can now choose a .ui file in the
layer properties dialogue. If QGIS properly finds and parses such a file,
the form is displayed instead of the standard infotool dialogue (if there
is a unique result). If the query result is not unique, the form can be
opened with a right click from the infotool results list.

This feature is quite new (from the hackfest) and would need to be tested.
I would like to thank Jürgen for his work and invite others to test the
new forms feature and provide feedback. I am looking forward to more
customized and flexible forms in the future.

Jürgen or I may also provide a more detailed description in a blog entry
on the QGIS webpage.

Andreas

On Tue, November 10, 2009 12:32 am, Mailing Lists wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I have written up some thoughts on the hackfest on my blog here:
>
> http://linfiniti.com/2009/11/report-back-on-the-qgis-hackfest-in-vienna-november-2009/
>
> Hopefully other attendees will chime in here with more thoughts on the
> event.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member (Release  Manager)

>  * QGIS programming and support services
>  * Mapserver and PostGIS based hosting plans
>  * FOSS Consulting Services
> Skype: timlinux

Andreas Neumann
http://www.carto.net/neumann/