[Qgis-developer] Release plans for QGIS 1.6

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Sun Oct 17 03:04:12 EDT 2010

Hi

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 1:07 AM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
> I agree that real place names is a better idea. I could see lots of
> Mythical/Fictitious names actually being claimed by people. I will also
> point out that the Mozilla Foundation uses National Parks/Reserves in
> the code naming of pre-release firefox branches and suggest that we
> could do something with a greater cause as our release names:
> Endangered Species, World Heritage Sites, Rivers, Mountain Peaks, etc..
> (suggest your idea)

Sorry in retrospect my original email was probably unclear. It was my
intention that we use *real* (hence photographable) place names, but
obscure ones that a) have some geographical interest and b) are
unlikely to ever have been used by someone as a trademark. Having a
theme to the place names would be fine (making them really obscure and
interesting was kind of my idea for a theme, but another theme would
be fine too).

Using well known places e.g. Moscow as Maxim suggests will lead to
similar conflicts as using planetary moons.

Regards

Tim

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services