[Qgis-developer] Feedbacks about Qgis Server

kimaidou kimaidou at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 10:47:27 EST 2011

Hi devs,

  During the development of Lizmap, we have needed some features not yet
implemented, or encountered some problems. I would like to write down in
the email all the things which seem interesting as a feedback, and all the
questions I have. Please see it as a user contribution, and not as
criticism if course. (I am using *Qgis 1.7.1*). I will open tickets if
needed depending on your answers.

*GENERAL*

* DPI : I you want to have the exact same renderding for Qgis Desktop and
Qgis Server, you have to use DPI=96 in the WMS client (e.g. in OpenLayers,
you have to set the option : OpenLayers.DOTS_PER_INCH = 96). For webmapping
point of view, increasing DPI from 72 (default in web applications) to 96
is not a good thing, as it increases the size of images received by the
client. It could be great to set in Qgis project properties the DPI for the
rendering in Qgis Desktop. This way, the user will have the choice to
create one project in 72 DPI for web purpose only. The web client will then
be able to ask images with the same 72 dpi, and the rendering will remain
identical between desktop and server. I do not know if it is an easy thing
to do, or a big development to achieve this...

*GETCAPABILITIES*

* Layers meta-data
At present, Qgis Server send an empty "Abstract" property for each layer in
the GetCapabilities request, since it is not possible to write down this
abstract in Qgis Layer properties dialogue. It could be good to have this
possibility for groups too. In Lizmap plugin, the user can manually edit
the Abstract field for each group or layer, but it would be better imho to
have it directly in Qgis.

*GETLEGENDGRAPHICS*

* SVG icon for point layer : When you change the DPI parameters, the text
size changes, but the size of the SVG icon does not
- 96 DPI :
http://178.32.101.237/lizmap/index.php/lizmap/service/?PROJECT=alaska&pp=demo&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0&REQUEST=GetLegendGraphics&LAYERS=airports&EXCEPTIONS=application%2Fvnd.ogc.se_inimage&FORMAT=image%2Fpng&TRANSPARENT=TRUE&WIDTH=150&DPI=96
- 300 DPI :
http://178.32.101.237/lizmap/index.php/lizmap/service/?PROJECT=alaska&pp=demo&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0&REQUEST=GetLegendGraphics&LAYERS=airports&EXCEPTIONS=application%2Fvnd.ogc.se_inimage&FORMAT=image%2Fpng&TRANSPARENT=TRUE&WIDTH=150&DPI=300

One solution could be to have 2 different parameters to change text and
icon size independently ?

* Legend of a group shows also layers that are not visible (min and
maxscale layer property). I tried to use the SCALE parameter to check this
behaviour. The getLegendGraphics returns all the layers of a group (if
called with the group name as the LAYERS parameter). For exemple, a group
called "hydro" and containing 2 layers "main river" (visible at all scales)
and "minor rivers" visible only at scales =< 5 000 000. If I ask the legend
for this group "hydro", I would like the server to only return the legend
of "major rivers" with SCALE=10 000 000, and both layers with SCALE=2 000
000.

QGIS API

* Get groups state : I could not figure out how to get the toggled state of
groups with the api. I tried :
self.iface.legendInterface().isGroupVisible(myGroups.indexOf(myId))
But it seems to provide another type of information.
The idea is to know if a group is toggled or not in the project.

I hope I was clear enough :)

kimaidou