[Qgis-developer] Approximate reprojection for vectors

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Sun Oct 2 15:33:23 EDT 2011

Hi Radim

Am Sonntag, 2. Oktober 2011, 17.34:48 schrieb Radim Blazek:
> You are right. I have done some tests and rendering with reprojection
> takes obnly about 10% more time. I was convinced that it must be quite
> time consuming. In fact, reprojection is a complex caclulation so I am
> wondering  what can take so long time in rendering process so that the
> reprojection is not significant.

It depends a lot on the map to render.

I did a lot of profiling for the FOSS4G WMS benchmark (osm data, reprojected to
google crs, complex symbology with a lot of rules). The pattern was mostly the
following:
the rendering itself (QPainter->drawPolyline) was the most time consuming
operation (appr. 50% of rendering time), next was evaluation in rule based
renderer (20% of time), getNextFeature in PostgresProvider 10%, coordinate
transformation 10%.

Regards,
Marco