[Qgis-developer] Re: QGIS Processing Framework

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Fri Jan 13 15:26:49 EST 2012

Hi

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 6:24 PM, Charlie Sharpsteen
<chuck at sharpsteen.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 3:41 AM, CzendaZdenda <tramtara at seznam.cz> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> have someone experiences with VisTrails (VT)? According the discuss on ML
>> about using it for a workflow builder I have spent some times with VT. And
>> started think about using external library or write it without
>> dependencies
>> on it. As Paolo mentioned:
>>
>> "I think we better avoid external dependencies unless necessary.
>> Furthermore, I do not know VT, but it seems far from production-ready, and
>> its scope seems to considerably overlap that of QGIS."
>>
>> That's right. VT is more than we need and now it's not good for integrated
>> into another program. For me looks better to write workflow builder
>> without
>> dependencies, just with using Qt and its Graphics View Framework.
>>
>> So what do you think about it?

What Graphical toolkit are they using? VT has the advantage of being
Qt based too so from that respect it is probably a better match for
integration into QGIS.

Czenda, I know some folks who have been using VT with QGIS quite a lot
- pop me a note if you would like me to put you in contact with them.

Regards

Tim

>> Regards,
>> Zdenek
>

> Has anyone considered adapting the Orange framework for this task?
>
>   http://orange.biolab.si/features.html
>
> Orange is written in Python and provides dataflow analysis through a
> "connect the boxes" interface similar to the ArcGIS  model builder. There
> could be some good ideas there that QGIS can adopt.
>
> -Charlie

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux