[Qgis-developer] Sextante test drive

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Apr 20 11:35:10 PDT 2013

On Apr 20, 2013, at 11:32 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Il 20/04/2013 17:24, William Kyngesburye ha scritto:
>> Just a note: I'll be bundling OTB and SAGA in the OS X package.  I already have
>> code in sextante to automatically find the bundled copies.
>
> Thank you so much for this. So, Victor, paths could be set up as defaults in all
> major platforms then, right?

From what I could figure out, there is no need for a default for Linux since it inherits a shell environment and can execute commands without explicit paths (the $PATH is the default).

I don't know the details of the Windows environment, but there is a default path for GRASS, but none for SAGA, OTB or TauDEM.  Though I don't understand the python searching logic for the GRASS default.

>> Maybe I'll look again at Taudem.  I think when I looked at it a year ago I was put
>> off by Windows/Arc-centric nature of it.  ... ugh, just a quick browse of the
>
> Bad stuff, agreed. However, taudem has been properly packaged in Debian main, so I
> suppose it can be brought to a reasonable state.
> BTW, is it supported by an active community? Has anyone tried to contact the authors
> suggestiong at least some basic fix?

Latest source version is from Feb 2012, site mentions Arc 10.0.  No mention of any development group or forum, or source repository other than the download tarball.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"History is an illusion caused by the passage of time, and time is an illusion caused by the passage of history."

- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy