[Qgis-developer] Updating core plugins

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 14:24:49 PDT 2013

Hi all

Having SEXTANTE as a core plugin in QGIS is really great, but I am
worried about how that will affect users when 2.0 is released. My two
main concerns are:

- People currently using SEXTANTE as a non-core plugin will have 2
versions of SEXTANTE installed when they install 2.0. This is likely
to cause strange behaviour, and, as some users have reported on the
mailing list, it seems that the non-core plugin (in this case, the
older version), will override the other one. Not a nice thing... The
solution is to manually uninstall it, but that is going to cause a lot
of confusion...

- I have a few features that will not be ready for 2.0, but I would
like to release them later, just releasing a new versino of SEXTATE
independently. However, I think that core plugins cannot be updated.
Installing the new one separately will cause two version to be
installed...

Any ideas on that? I see that the easiest solution would be to have
something in the plugin manager that, in case of having two versions
of a plugin, would use just the most recent one.

Thanks in advance!
Victor