[Qgis-developer] Sextante test drive

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Apr 24 19:07:51 PDT 2013

On Apr 24, 2013, at 1:31 PM, Larry Shaffer wrote:

> Hi William,
>
> On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 9:24 AM, William Kyngesburye <woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:
> Just a note: I'll be bundling OTB and SAGA in the OS X package.  I already have code in sextante to automatically find the bundled copies.
>
> Why bundle instead of having a separate installer (like is done with the base GDAL frameworks, etc.)? Same question for the osg/earth frameworks.

Simplicity for me and ease of use for users.  My general plan has been separate packages for stuff (GDAL & co.) needed by multiple other end-user packages (GRASS, Mapserver, QGIS).  And maybe for tools useful on their own (python modules, and yes, could be SAGA, OTB, TauDEM), if I have time.  And a little bit of whatever I feel like doing factors in there also ;)

I did consider an OSG/earth package, but never got around to it.  QGIS is the only thing I use that needs it, though I was briefly interested in OSSIM, and there were small build issues early on (now sorted out).

> Also, when you get things situated for the release and you have time, I would appreciate any build notes, so I can add such support to the nightly build.

The main thing is a user bundling cmake script for SAGA, OTB and TauDEM.

Do you need any build info for those?  OTB isn't hard, just a simple patch.  SAGA is a bit of work because of missing autotools in the latest Xcode, and it needs wxWidgets.  TauDEM needs some work, a few of us are in communication with the developer to fix it up.

> Regards,
>
> Larry
>

> Maybe I'll look again at Taudem.  I think when I looked at it a year ago I was put off by Windows/Arc-centric nature of it.  ... ugh, just a quick browse of the source doesn't look good - mix of windows and unix line endings in some files needs to be fixed (maybe the compiler doesn't care, but it's hard to read), and assumption of available headers/libraries, like MPI.  This may not be an option for OS X, at least in the near future.  It's also disappointing that the author didn't use libtiff, so that taudem could support lzw compression and bigtiff.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."

- Ford Prefect