[Qgis-developer] Labeling gui redesign and expression-based data definitions

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Mon Apr 29 19:11:00 PDT 2013

Hi,

Similar to Borys' dilemma, I am try bringing the new labeling features and
gui to a reasonable release state, but need a couple of days more to finish
things up (excepting existing issues, etc.).

I have added expression-based data definitions for labeling (bringing
functionally on par with current symbology implementation), but need the
rest of the week to clean it up and fully turn it on for existing and
missing data definitions. [0] slideshow, [1] branch. Note: if you build
that branch, only new-style data definitions and the new tool button work
for a label's *font size*, all others are currently broken/unimplemented.

Things left to do:

* Re-work current labeling gui (not very difficult, see last slide in
slideshow for older sample of how it will look). This will include
integration of the inline data definition tool buttons, which not only give
feedback on the state of the definition, but also disable appropriate
layer-level widgets if a definition is enabled.

* Freshen up the current implementation to be cleaner and more flexible
with the API, and refactor QgsPalLayerSettings, QgsPalLabeling and the
canvas labeling tools to utilize the new data definition methods.

I believe I can finish this by the end of the week. IMHO, it would be very
good to get labeling to this state for 2.0, current bugs and issues
notwithstanding. This will allow a reasonably functional and flexible
labeling system (with expressions), to be used while a much larger
rule-based system and refactoring is being worked on for 2.x.

Any comments on my completion and committing of this work by week's end?
(then on to bugs/issues)

[0] https://www.dropbox.com/sh/05zltx1653zaaiu/WY1f4PO7Z6
[1] https://github.com/dakcarto/Quantum-GIS/tree/labeling-gui_redesign2_2

Regards,