[Qgis-developer] Labeling gui redesign and expression-based data definitions

Denis Rouzaud denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 22:10:16 PDT 2013

Hi,

On 04/30/2013 04:11 AM, Larry Shaffer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Similar to Borys' dilemma, I am try bringing the new labeling features
> and gui to a reasonable release state, but need a couple of days more
> to finish things up (excepting existing issues, etc.).
>
> I have added expression-based data definitions for labeling (bringing
> functionally on par with current symbology implementation), but need
> the rest of the week to clean it up and fully turn it on for existing
> and missing data definitions. [0] slideshow, [1] branch. Note: if you
> build that branch, only new-style data definitions and the new tool
> button work for a label's *font size*, all others are currently
> broken/unimplemented.
>
> Things left to do:
>
> * Re-work current labeling gui (not very difficult, see last slide in
> slideshow for older sample of how it will look). This will include
> integration of the inline data definition tool buttons, which not only
> give feedback on the state of the definition, but also disable
> appropriate layer-level widgets if a definition is enabled.

Would it be possible to integrate the left panel in the panel of the
vector layer properties as a tree widget, as we see in many software [0]?
I think this would be much clearer and space saving but I understand it
won't be that straightforward in current structure.

[0] https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96475234/settings.png

> * Freshen up the current implementation to be cleaner and more
> flexible with the API, and refactor QgsPalLayerSettings,
> QgsPalLabeling and the canvas labeling tools to utilize the new data
> definition methods.
>
> I believe I can finish this by the end of the week. IMHO, it would be
> very good to get labeling to this state for 2.0, current bugs and
> issues notwithstanding. This will allow a reasonably functional and
> flexible labeling system (with expressions), to be used while a much
> larger rule-based system and refactoring is being worked on for 2.x.
>
> Any comments on my completion and committing of this work by week's
> end? (then on to bugs/issues)
>
> [0] https://www.dropbox.com/sh/05zltx1653zaaiu/WY1f4PO7Z6
> [1] https://github.com/dakcarto/Quantum-GIS/tree/labeling-gui_redesign2_2
>
> Regards,