[Qgis-developer] QGIS 2.0 and PyQT v2 update

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Tue Apr 30 07:01:42 PDT 2013

It was not my intent to encourage the postponement of these features to
a later release.

I wanted to get a decision about inclusion or non-inclusion which is
not based on time-constraints of the developers, but instead is
strategic decision.

In my opinion, it can shed a bad light onto the project and discourage
developers from maintaining their plugins if they've got to rework the
whole plugin with several subsequent major releases.

If this is a top-priority goal for 2.0 I don't mind having it excepted
from the API freeze (and therefore rendering the API freeze pretty much
useless) for a week or two.

Concerning Python 3: This is a mail from 2010 which states, that there
is the possibility to support Python 2 and Python 3 at the same time:
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2010-January/008803.html
If this is really possible, I don't see any problems with postponing
the Python 3 update, as we'll be able to have a painless grace period.

Thank you for your feedback
Matthias