[Qgis-developer] Renaming SEXTANTE

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 10:53:16 PDT 2013

Hi

After much thinking and considering some suggestions, I think it would
be a good idea to remove the SEXTANTE branding, and just have
everything with a more descriptive name, such as "geoanalysis",
"processing", or something like that. In the long-term, that will help
to integrate the analysis framework into QGIS,and help users locate
it.

It shouldn't be more difficult than just replacing string ocurrences,
but before doing such a big (and potentially troublesome) change, I
would like to hear the opinion you guys have about this (is it a good
idea? what name should we use instead of "sextante" for packages and
modules? any good refactoring tool that you recommend?,etc)

I am going to be out of office next week, so I might not read my email
everyday, but it would be great to hear what you think about it. Once
I am back, I will proceed to change it,

I discussed it briefly with Tim and Paolo, who agreed on this, so I
assumme this is not incompatible with the API freeze and the release
plan that we have, but if anyone thinks this shouldn't be done now,
please say it. I personally think that it would be good to have it in
2.0, so all analysis stuff is called "analysis" (or whatever) and not
with a name that (although I like and feel very identified with it)
for most people doesn't make much sense...

Thanks in advance.

Victor