[Qgis-developer] Context help - locale (Consider country?)

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Mon May 13 08:14:31 PDT 2013

Hi,

The context help (e.g. click on the ? in the attribute table) does take
language AND country into account. If a help file for this very specific
combination does not exist, it falls back to the en_US help, which is
not always the best choice.

E.g.
de_CH should rather fallback to de_DE instead of en_US.

I see the following possibilities:
 * keep the lang_COUNTRY suffix for these files and in case the specific
country does not exist, just take a random file with the same lang (e.g.
-de_CH will then use -de_AT because of the same -lang part and listed
before -de_DE).
 * always provide a fallback file (e.g. -de_CH would then search for
-de_CH, and if not existent for -de which it will find, because the file
-de_DE has been copied or symlinked there.)
 * drop the COUNTRY suffix (only look for -de and if that does not exist
take -en)

I'm not really an expert in translation, so I would go for option 3. But
I'm sure somebody will discourage me and tell me, that he wants to
provide a native swiss-german translation as soon as there are official
grammar rules :-)

Cheers
Matthias