[Qgis-developer] python function to upgrade qgs datasources?

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Jul 1 07:13:15 PDT 2014

Hi Régis,

I can't help you with the Python script to process your files, but I
have a suggestion:

Use a PostgreSQL service instead of hard-coded IP addresses, names or
aliases.

In such a scenario you can easily change between a production and test
server and more easily migrate to a new machine. Also, on a laptop you
can point the service to localhost (for mobile laptops) and within your
organizations LAN you can point to the production server. All without
touching the .qgs project file.

We in Uster are using PostgreSQL service names for several years now and
I like them. Unfortunately the concept of PostgreSQL services is not
very well-known among the PostgreSQL users.

See http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/libpq-pgservice.html
and
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/libpq-connect.html#LIBPQ-PARAMKEYWORDS

Andreas