[Qgis-developer] Drag n drop on OS X

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 20:56:51 PDT 2015

On 9 Jun 2015 1:07 pm, "Larry Shaffer" <larrys at dakotacarto.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This can be fixed for Qt 4.8.x, but requires direct access to the Cocoa
API when needed to introduce the non-Qt-source workarounds noted in the
QTBUG-40449 [0].

> Btw, this is an example of my old PR [1] to introduce abstracted calls to
the OS (Mac for example, with Objective-C++) to handle changes in OS API
libraries and keep such workarounds in one place instead of peppered
throughout the source tree. Especially for those instances where Qt fails
us, but a direct call to the OS could be abstracted for a workaround where
needed.

> Unfortunately, it is a significant change that needs really tested well,
and certainly not reasonable to introduce into 2.10 as a fix, as it is more
of a feature.

> I never upgraded to 10.10 for several reasons, but am about to, or I
would have noticed this nasty bug sooner.

> [0] https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-40449
> [1] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/1084

Thanks for looking into this Larry,

I'm wondering - is there anything stopping the OSX builds from moving to
the Qt5/pyqt4 combination? I gather qt4 on 10.10 is unsupported and
probably has a lot of little quirks like this we can't easily fix. I'm
tipping the next OSX release will have even more. But since we're not
relying on a distro and are more or less free to choose dependencies on
OSX, couldn't we switch the OSX build across now?

Nyall