[Qgis-developer] QGIS georeferencer / vector georeferencer

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Thu Nov 26 03:00:34 PST 2015

On 26 November 2015 at 07:41, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a reason why the QGIS georeferencer is still a plugin and not
> part of QGIS core?
>
> Do you think that the existing QGIS raster georeferencer could be
> enhanced/extended to also allow the georeferencing of one or more vector
> layers?
>
> I know that there is a Python plugin to do vector georeferencing - but I
> really think that both raster and vector georeferencing is an integral part
> of any GIS and shouldn't be optional or a second class citizen. And it is
> also rather suboptimal that the raster and vector georeferencers have two
> different interfaces ...

As someone who has written custom georeferencers for both raster and vector
data in a QGIS plugin [1], I would greatly appreciate if the core
georeferencing functions are moved into core or processing to save me
duplicating it, with the gui being left as a plugin. At the moment I have
to execute GDAL on the command line working directly on the raster files,
and have copied/modified the vector bending code to achieve what I need.
Separating the two would also allow people to experiment with different gui
ideas without duplicating the core code, because to be honest the current
gui options are not as easy to use as they could be.

John.

[1] If you're wondering, the plugin is for digitizing archaeological plans
drawn on grid paper to a fixed 5m by 5m local grid, we semi-automatically
georeference the rasters for a grid-square to the known grid points (only 5
clicks required versus the 42 clicks needed in the standard georeferencer).
The vector bender code is used to initially create the local grid and then
to covert survey data between the local and national co-ords. I hope to
release a preview some time soon.