[Qgis-developer] SSL error on QGIS startup

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri Oct 2 02:54:46 PDT 2015

On 02-10-15 10:41, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> My original plan for the news feed was a push notification system for
> conferences, releases...
>
> I do not see any advantage of the current system over having a link
> which opens a browser window.
>
> I would like to clearly separate the two discussions: IF there is a good
> reason to ship the news feed internally, THEN we will find a solution to
> ship a library instead of downloading an external one.

A real push mechanism?
Or do you mean just pulling a most recent rss or atom feed?

If you meaned the last, I'm in favour to just hack some javascript lines
together and pull our own 'news feed', which also has the releases and
messages from blog.qgis.org.

If we keep it a 'News and Announcements'-tab (note the tab size ;-) ),
we could download the feed ONLY when the user deliberately has a look
into that tab?
In that way people who do not want to download anything, do not download
the feed (but only miss our nice blog posts).
But off course this is not real push...

Or am I missing something here?

Regards,

Richard