[Qgis-developer] SSL error on QGIS startup

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Fri Oct 2 05:37:26 PDT 2015

On 10/02/2015 11:54 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
> On 02-10-15 10:41, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
>> My original plan for the news feed was a push notification system for
>> conferences, releases...
>>
>> I do not see any advantage of the current system over having a link
>> which opens a browser window.
>>
>> I would like to clearly separate the two discussions: IF there is a good
>> reason to ship the news feed internally, THEN we will find a solution to
>> ship a library instead of downloading an external one.
> A real push mechanism?
> Or do you mean just pulling a most recent rss or atom feed?

I was referring to pull/push in terms of UX. Originally the user had no
other choice than looking at the news feed (push). Now the user has to
click the tab to get information (pull).

Reasoning: Most pages (github/stackoverflow...) and software (mail
clients) give you a notification by means of an icon when there is
something new available in your inbox, in a folder... In short, the
users knows that there are unread items.

At the moment we do not push the information to the user and we do not
give him any hint if there's something of interest to him on the tab.
Why would he still click on it after having found nothing new the last 5
times he clicked the tab? How does he know the frequency of information
update?

If we integrate the reader inside the app we should give the user a hint
by notifying (icon) or "pushing" the information to him (always show the
feed). If we don't, let's not pretend to be smart. Let's avoid the
overhead. Let's just offer a link, it does the same.

It was a bit short-sighted of me to integrate the feed without first
thinking about a use-case (i.e. what kind of information
deserves/requires to be pushed). Sorry for that.

Cheers,
Matthias