[Qgis-developer] GDAL 2.1 can update Geojson files - What is missing in QGIS to edit GeoJSON files ?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 11:38:04 PST 2016

On 15 Jan 2016 2:39 AM, "Even Rouault" <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:

> A more "streaming-like" approach for the driver not proceeding to full
> ingestion of features could be desirable to remove that limitation, but
that's
> more involved. A possibility could be to have a "at-hand" parser to
delimitate
> JSon "Feature" objects and use only json-c to parse each feature. But
GeoJSON
> is certainly not the more appropriate file format to deal with huge
datasets...

Even,

Editable GeoJSON in OGR is great news!

I've got a question regarding the geojson driver you may be able to assist
with. Is there any method in the OGR libraries which allow direct parsing
of a string to a  layer? (Ie, without first writing it out to a file).

I'd like to add the ability to directly paste geojson text into QGIS and
have it inserted as a feature in the current layer (like how you can
currently paste WKT text as a feature). I don't want to have to manually
parse the json (that would be a nightmare).

If I could somehow take advantage of OGR's geojson driver to do the heavy
lifting then this work would be trivial.

Any ideas?

Nyall