[Qgis-developer] C++11 in master?

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Fri Jul 15 08:42:04 PDT 2016

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 11:50 PM, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Did you look at the latest coverage reports :) ?
>
> I don't think we require Qt 5.7, so from this side we still have a grace
> period.
> But at the same time I wouldn't mind, c++11 should be fairly common these
> days.
> GCC starting from 4.8 should have it which is shipped by default on trusty
> and even 4.6 (precise) had a lot of support already.
>
> We could also ask for specific features instead of full support which
> might even give us more possibilities for early adoption of new compiler
> features. [2]

On the Mac side of things, and with a focus on minimum OS support, the
first version of Xcode that 'fully' supports c++11 is 5.0, which puts the
minimum OS X at 10.8:
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/XcodeVersionInfo

This is based off the full c++11 support in Clang since 3.3:
http://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html

OS X 10.8 is already the minimum OS for William's builds:
http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/qgis

I would like to go one further and put minimum OS X at 10.9 for QGIS 3.0,
due to current Homebrew pre-compiled binary support and full c++11 support,
prior to any compiler restrictions.

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography
Black Hills, South Dakota