[Qgis-developer] Questions/Suggestion on virtual layers

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Mar 2 08:29:12 PST 2016

Hi Yves,

On 2016-03-02 17:20, Yves Jacolin wrote:

> Andreas,
>
> In the layer toolbar, after the "Add a delimited text Layer" icon you have the
> "Add a virtual layer" tools. In the panel you can choose a virtual layer name.
>
> If you create two virtual layer, when you come back to this windows, the
> dropdown list will show you the two layers that you can edit.

Ah - now I see what you mean. Thanks - so with this drop-down box I can
access the definitions of all the existing virtual layers in the
project. Nice.

The only usability problem is that you have to go throuhg "Add a new
virtual layer" in order to edit the definition of an existing one. I
think this is quite confusing.

> But you are right, if there is an error, the virtual layer won't be saved.

Well - if we had a preview of the results - this wouldn't be much of an
issue. I can understand that virtual layers with an error in the
definition shouldn't be saveable.

Thanks,

Andreas