[Qgis-developer] Extending timeline for 3.0?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 22:53:22 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I'd like to start the discussion around this early so that we can plan
ahead and not have to make a last-minute decision.

What are everyone's thoughts on extending the timeline for 3.0? In my
opinion things are currently going really well, we have Qt5/python3
builds which are stable enough for daily use and there's been a ton of
cleanups to the code.

There's a lot of changes still coming in, and I think there's SO much
room for making things better that I don't like the idea of the early
2017 deadline for the final release. I'd much rather extend this out
by another cycle and really getting the platform ready for the next
series of QGIS releases.

We could always put out a "preview" release in March, without frozen
API, if desired.

So, what's everyone's thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea?

Nyall