[QGIS-Developer] Support to loading GIS projects from an extended OWC geopackage in the QGIS core

RĂ©gis Haubourg regis.haubourg at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 00:39:28 PST 2017

Hi again,

two sidenotes:

- we called "auxiliary storage" the new QGIS 3 feature. I realize everyone
uses "Ancillary storage" words. Should we rename that in the GUI?

- we HAD to use SQLITE and not spatialite, even though we wanted to use a
spatially enabled db. It turned out that init time to create a spatialite
with current provider was way too long, and having a default empty DB
storing more than 4Mo of SRS, functions and various metadata was not a good
idea for QGIS project file. Can anyone give us imputs if GPKG, relying on
spatialite implementation could suffer from the same drawbacks?

And more largely on pushing hard on OWC standard, I think it is always a
good idea that OpenSource is the leader on standards.
The feature could be exposed in "project" menu entry. "Save / Save As /
Export As OWC" for instance