[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-psc] QGIS Resource Sharing Plugin in core?

Tim Sutton tim at qgis.org
Wed Feb 1 06:54:18 PST 2017

Hi

> On 01 Feb 2017, at 4:43 PM, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim
>
> On 02/01/2017 03:18 PM, Tim Sutton wrote:
>
>> What do others
>> think of my proposal to require peer review before merging PR's? I think
>> it will help prevent situations where code gets merged before people
>> have had a good chance to review it in future.
>
> I don't know the tools you propose very well. Can you explain in more
> detail what they will change?
>
> In particular, does the proposal mean that the master branch is
> protected from pushing and every commit is forced to be proxied over a
> pull request? That would make me a bit afraid of the overhead this will
> impose on the few devs which are currently checking taking care of the
> PR queue.

Basically if you look at this image:

https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/178003/22511566/c9e0fb12-e89e-11e6-9d07-6ace557cb5a8.png

I propose to enable the two checkboxes:

Require pull request reviews before merging
When enabled, all commits must be made to a non-protected branch and submitted via a pull request with at least one approved review and no changes requested before it can be merged into master.

Require status checks to pass before merging
Choose which status checks <https://developer.github.com/v3/repos/statuses/> must pass before branches can be merged into master. When enabled, commits must first be pushed to another branch, then merged or pushed directly to master after status checks have passed.

The former would require that the PR is approved by someone else and the latter would require that all tests pass. They do not as far as I know prevent direct pushes to the upstream QGIS master branch (but we should probably culturally avoid that as default behavior).

Regards

Tim