[Qgis-developer] Outline/border -> stroke?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 01:09:24 PST 2017

On 7 February 2017 at 19:05, Mathieu Pellerin <nirvn.asia at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm -1 on removing polygon outline by default. In many datasets (think
> administrative boundaries, cadastral polygons, etc.), polygons share
> boundaries and the outline is important.
>
> On the other hand, I'm not against improving things by default :) IMHO, we
> could greatly improve default coloring by avoiding a rgb(0,0,0) outline and
> instead use a darkened fill color as the outline. Err, stroke ... ;)

I agree, and tried to do this change a while ago. Unfortunately it's
not easy (possible?). Here's an example why:

If we change default outline/stroke/border to be slightly darker
version of polygon color it works nicely for single symbol renderers.
But the same changes apply also to graduated/categorised renderers.
And this means that all the classes created with the default ramp have
their outline colors set to darker versions of the class color. If you
then go and change the ramp, all the fill colors update to reflect but
not the outline color. There's no way to differentiate the slightly
darker outline color set by default from a user-set slightly darker
outline color. So we can't wipe them out and replace them all, but
this means that the outline color will be a different hue to the new
class fill color. Really ugly, and a step back from just having a
'neutral' black color...

Nyall