[Qgis-developer] 3.0 Documentation and branching

Alexandre Neto senhor.neto at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 09:18:20 PST 2017

In my opinion, we need to take action to make sure that a developer that is
working on a master version feature is not prevented from documenting it
because the documentation team is still working on the 2.16 version issues.
Example:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/commit/4e155346641d17a532755f535ff363b355327c91

Documentation needs all the help it can get. If we expect core developer to
help with documentation, the only time this is remotely possible is when
they are making changes to QGIS master. For that reason, QGIS Documentation
and QGIS master branches must be in sync regarding the version.

Some time ago, we decided that we are going to release documentation for
LTR releases. That was for us to concentrate efforts for documenting those
special releases and, as soon it's finished, branch the repo. If we keep
trying to complete version 2.x documentation, before we even start working
on the 3.X version, we can end up wasting efforts in documenting things
that have already changed in master.

So, IMHO, after the release and branch a QGIS LTR version, we can delay the
documentation branching for a while to give time for a good documentation
release, but we can't do it for too long, to avoid the situation mentioned
above.

Also, IMHO, after documentation LTR branching (e.g. 2.14), documenting any
feature introduced in an intermediate version (e.g. 2.16, 2.18) should be
done, if possible, taking into account changes make to it in QGIS master
(e.g. 2.99).

Cheers,

Alexandre Neto
--