[Qgis-developer] 3.0 Documentation and branching

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Feb 8 23:36:00 PST 2017

On 08-02-17 12:42, Alexandre Neto wrote:
> My concerns are about this part:
>
> /"Then, afaict, a part of this commit is more about QGIS 3 changes and I
> am not sure we are currently documenting QGIS3 stuffs (still waiting for
> comments and decision in this thread
> <https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-psc/2017-January/005060.html>)."
>
> /
> So, with my email, I just wanted to go back to the discussion of what
> versions we are planning/want to release and have a decision. Also, make
> sure that whatever the decision on that, we have a solution that does
> not put a developer's (or anyone else) PR on hold (not merged) if they
> want to contribute documentation for the current is master version.
> Mainly because people's availability and motivation can be affected by that.

Hi Alexandre,

the main reason holding back 3.0 descriptions from master is to be able
to release a (nowadays pretty theoretical?) new LTR in 2.x branch.

This in case that waiting for a stable 3.x (plus a reasonable set of
working python plugins!) would take too long, and the community would
decide or ask for another 2.x release to be able to do their daily work
with QGIS.

IF we are more or less sure that there will NO MORE 2.x QGIS (LTR's?)
anymore, we can decide to lift this clear 2.x - 3.x separation (thanks
Harrissou for defending this :-) ).

So the main question is: do we decide to NOT release a newer
documentation(!) 2.x branch anymore this year.

Regards,

Richard