[Qgis-developer] Future of standalone browser?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 00:27:49 PST 2017

On 20 February 2017 at 18:17, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Il 20/02/2017 09:11, RĂ©gis Haubourg ha scritto:
>> Agreed here,
>> never used it, and it sends a wrong message saying Esri UX choices are
>> good enough to be copied. Let's get rid of it :)
>
> Agreed with most people here:
> * never used it myself
> * never seen used by anyone
> * very confusing for the users (especially when it had the same desktop
> icon as main app).
> On the other hand, I find the docked version superuseful and intuitive,
> although I agree with Richard that it should be streamlined, hopefully
> replacing the (too) many "Add this and that" buttons.
> Thanks Nyall for raising the issue.

Yes - I should have stressed this more. I love the in-app browser dock
and think it's vital to using QGIS. It's not going anywhere!

Seems like quite a consensus that the standalone browser should go.
Does anyone know the history here? I'd like to hear from the original
developer as to whether this was a funded project which could cause
issues with removal or if it's no longer required by them either...

Nyall