[Qgis-developer] QGIS3 theme?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 03:20:39 PST 2017

On 27 February 2017 at 20:28, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Hi all,
> the first reactions from people testing QGIS 3 include a slight
> disappointment from seeing no obvious change in the interface.
> Maybe adding a new default theme, with different colours etc., would
> help people appreciating the many hidden changes.
> I know it's cosmetic, but IMHO it would be a good marketing approach.
> Opinions?

Paolo,

Mathieu and I are working on a joint proposal for the current round of
grants, in which we will propose subcontracting an icon design studio
to remake all the icons from the main QGIS windows using a modern,
flat, monochrome (or monochrome + single color highlight) theme.

It's being partly driven by this exact scenario, and the desire to
present an immediate reflection to users that QGIS 3 represents a huge
step forward for the project.

(It's also motivated by our belief that a monochrome icon theme will
help prevent the interface from stealing attention from the
maps/composer/etc which is being worked on, and also play much nicer
with dark desktop themes)

Nyall